Skip to main content

3D Game Level 2 - Feedback

12/4/2022

3D Game Level 2 - Feedback

For my second game level, I believe I did a good job designing the level and making it interesting to play, but I definitely think I can improve on some things. I believe what I did best overall was theming and decorating the level as an old looking castle with a huge courtyard and a sort-of archer tower at the edge of the wall. I used a texture and painted directly on the planes to make the walls and ground respectively, and just used five by five blocks to make all the walls and ceilings so the size could be edited and the texture would match up. I used switches and doors to create the one way doors I talked about in my concept, and used switches and counters for the main castle door.



I think I also did a decent job at spreading enemies across the map so there is never just random downtime, and adding large groups of enemies that need to be gone through to get to level objectives. I also added smaller groups down the alternate paths to add a sense of choice between fighting and infiltrating, this way even if you do choose to sneak by the enemies, it’s not too easy and still requires some fighting to make it through since the level is supposed to be a harder difficulty. As for difficulty, I think I did a fairly good job of making it hard to beat, and the different approaches give you the choice of going in swinging, which may be a bit faster but more difficult, or sneaking in, which would be easier but will take a bit more patience, depending on how hard you want it to be so the player can choose the difficulty for themselves but are still rewarded with a faster clear time for choosing the more difficult path.



The critical path is definitely made clear by the large groups of enemies gathering around certain areas, making them look more important than the rest of the level and drawing you towards them. This also encourages exploration because though you can see your goal clearly, you can also see the alternate paths to them very clearly, which gives you the choice to explore these paths or go through swinging to use brute force to get to the goal. I used ramps, which were pretty much stairs, to separate the separate paths from the ground level fighting areas, and I believe this was a good way to separate the fighting warzone type area from the stealthy back entrance approach.



As for what I can improve on, I definitely need to find some way to add a boss battle because as for now, the castle door opening is the end of the level, but with the castle behind it built up, it is a perfect spot for a boss battle to take place. On the topic of enemies, I would like some sort of different enemies to spice up the level, as right now the enemies seem very easy to kill and get boring after a while. They are also poorly themed for a medieval theme, but none-the-less work for now. I could have also added more one sided doors to the left side of the level so that you are forced through to the big castle door, while right now you can go back through the entrance after flipping the switch. Doing this would make the level flow a lot better because after doing the left switch you would be forced to fight the rest of the hallway’s enemies and would be placed right in front of the main door, which would be open if you did the right one first, and the back path and switch for the tower, so you can lead directly into the second switch after the first.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sources and APA

APA Sources for Kickstart Gottfried, J., & Park, E. (2025, November 20). Americans' Social Media Use 2025 . Pew Research Center. Retrieved February 20, 2026, from https://www.pewresearch.org/internet/2025/11/20/americans-social-media-use-2025/ This article from Pew Research seems like a very useful collection of information about social media use amongst Americans in 2025. This can be easily used to influence choices from our group, as we can see what forms of media are working, as well as what forms are not working anymore. An immediate example from this article is the fall off of Twitter, now known as X, which is only receiving 21 percent of people who say they use it. Health Benefits of Social Media Use in Adolescents and Young Adults . (2025, August 15). PMC. Retrieved February 20, 2026, from https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC12356748/ This could be an extremely interesting article to pull from, especially when thinking about the broader effects of social media. For ...

The Future of the Music Industry

The Music Industry - The Future of Listening I truly believe that the entirety of music will be switching to streaming. With how quickly streaming has advanced, and how much music is now streamed compared to other sources, I believe that eventually everyone will be transferring to streaming for its ease of access and its improving audio quality. Even now, according to the IFPI Global Music Report, 69 percent of music listeners are using streaming services, which I think will only grow with time. Additionally, I believe that it is possible that at some point in the somewhat near future, cars will remove both AM and FM radio, and will adopt an Apple play style smart screen for all streaming. This is obviously not a guarantee as people have been upset at the removal of AM radio in cars, but with how popular and used music streaming has been, I feel as though Spotify, Apple Music, and other streaming software will be built into cars. With how easy to use Apple and Android Car Play are, I f...

P.I.N. Point - Sprint 5

P.I.N. Point - Sprint 5 My name is Kyle Ramser and I am currently working as a 3D artist on a game called P.I.N. Point. P.I.N. Point is a fast paced assassin shooter, where time is money and the faster you take out your target, the more money you earn. We just finished our fifth sprint, and the game is coming along pretty nicely. Our programmers have completed our movement system, which has made the gameplay feel closer to how our designer imagined it, and more of my art is being implemented, which is making the game look a lot more complete. This sprint went very well overall, and it is clear now that we have hit our stride as a group and have the process down at this point, after a rough start in the first few sprints. Starting with the negatives, I had to redo the buildings again this sprint, which used up a bit of my time. It didn’t take too long, but it always feels like a waste to redo something that was already completed, so it was not a big deal but definitely not a positive. O...