Skip to main content

KickBack - Sprint Review 2

Sprint 2 - Kick Back

My name is Kyle Ramser, and I am currently working as a 3D Artist on the game Kickback. Kickback is a 3D platformer using a pogo leg and a shotgun leg to traverse, and the art style is low-poly and simplistic, much like Risk of Rain 2. We just finished our second sprint of the project, and while it started off a bit rocky, we ended up pulling through very strongly in the end.





Starting with the difficulties that I had during this sprint, the whole team, including me, started off a bit slow, but with some communication and encouragement from our producer, we were able to get back on track. Also, while there were fewer than in the first sprint, I did have a few modeling issues. Creating the forklift model took up a lot of time, and I had to constantly fix ngons and move vertices around to make the model look more natural. This card ended up taking me a bit longer than I had expected it to, but in the end, I think it was well worth it, and the model turned out looking great. The only other card that took a bit more time than expected was the solar panel, because in theory it was a simple model, but putting in all the cuts and extrusions to give it depth and make it easier to texture well ended up causing a lot of ngons and some strange issues when trying to bevel. In the end, though, it ended up looking good and didn’t take an absurd amount of time out of my sprint.




So far, I think the game itself has been coming together really well. I was able to complete a good amount of models and all of my UVs this sprint, and I think they all ended up turning out very well in the end. I was able to complete the models for the solar panel and the forklift, all of the pieces for a modular building, as well as UV maps for all five of my previous models. I was by far the most proud of the forklift model, as when this was pitched, it was definitely a daunting task, but in the end, I couldn’t be more proud of how it turned out. Even though I did put this model in my difficulties section, it was less so because it was a problem, and more so because it was a relatively difficult thing to model, and I ended up learning a lot about efficiency when modeling and how to reduce the number of problems that I have when creating complex, multi-part models like this in the future.




So overall, definitely more positives than negatives this time around, and I think I picked up the pace a lot from the rocky start that I had during the first sprint. This doesn’t just go for me either; our group ended up completing over 100 cards in the end, with me doing my fair share, and I am incredibly excited to see how our game turns out in the end. Next sprint, I am planning to start work on textures so that the team can get the basis for what each material should look like, and we can start implementing our models fully into the game.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sources and APA

APA Sources for Kickstart Gottfried, J., & Park, E. (2025, November 20). Americans' Social Media Use 2025 . Pew Research Center. Retrieved February 20, 2026, from https://www.pewresearch.org/internet/2025/11/20/americans-social-media-use-2025/ This article from Pew Research seems like a very useful collection of information about social media use amongst Americans in 2025. This can be easily used to influence choices from our group, as we can see what forms of media are working, as well as what forms are not working anymore. An immediate example from this article is the fall off of Twitter, now known as X, which is only receiving 21 percent of people who say they use it. Health Benefits of Social Media Use in Adolescents and Young Adults . (2025, August 15). PMC. Retrieved February 20, 2026, from https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC12356748/ This could be an extremely interesting article to pull from, especially when thinking about the broader effects of social media. For ...

The Future of the Music Industry

The Music Industry - The Future of Listening I truly believe that the entirety of music will be switching to streaming. With how quickly streaming has advanced, and how much music is now streamed compared to other sources, I believe that eventually everyone will be transferring to streaming for its ease of access and its improving audio quality. Even now, according to the IFPI Global Music Report, 69 percent of music listeners are using streaming services, which I think will only grow with time. Additionally, I believe that it is possible that at some point in the somewhat near future, cars will remove both AM and FM radio, and will adopt an Apple play style smart screen for all streaming. This is obviously not a guarantee as people have been upset at the removal of AM radio in cars, but with how popular and used music streaming has been, I feel as though Spotify, Apple Music, and other streaming software will be built into cars. With how easy to use Apple and Android Car Play are, I f...

P.I.N. Point - Sprint 4

P.I.N. Point - Sprint 4 My name is Kyle Ramser, and I am currently working as a 3D Artist on the game P.I.N. Point. P.I.N. Point is a fast-paced assassin shooter game where you are tasked with taking out a target using your sniper and gadgets, and the faster you take him out, the higher the profit. We just finished up our fourth sprint, which went a lot better than the first three. We were much better prepared and knew exactly what needed to be put in the game, as well as the priorities for each card. One example of the 15 NPC textures Hat texture There were some small hiccups during this process, but far fewer than the previous sprints for this project. One of the major ones was that our team was not sure how to go about texturing the NPC characters. We needed to have between 12 and 24 different variations on the NPC textures, but adding this many texture maps for color, normals, and metal/roughness would very quickly bloat the size of the game, which our group is trying to avoid. As...