Skip to main content

KickBack - Sprint 3

KickBack - Sprint 3

My name is Kyle Ramser, and I am currently working as a 3D Artist on the game KickBack. Kickback is a unique 3D platformer in which you use your pogo and shotgun legs to traverse a dream-like world. Our team just finished our third sprint, which further refined the movement mechanics and, on my side of things, implemented a lot more art and started the creation of the game world. I was able to finish a few more models, but the main focus of this sprint was UVing and texturing what I had already created. This sprint taught me a lot about texturing, since I’m working in a style I have never done before, but actually had very little problems or holdups.

Shown above are a few of the models I had to clean up. The reason varied, but many faces had multiple double extrusions or holes in the model that needed to be closed.

Starting off with the difficulties, since I had never worked with a painterly style texture before, I had to get used to the process of making one. The first texture that I did was a bit slow because of this, but once I got the hang of it, I was able to complete the others without much issue, and knew exactly what variations, filters, and colors to use to get the look I was going for. Because of this, I ended up learning a lot about creating a new art style that will be useful in future projects, especially now that painterly-styled games seem increasingly popular. The only other difficulty I had was that I had some modeling cleanup added to my plate after kickoff had already begun, so I had a few more cards than expected. This didn’t end up being a huge problem, though, and I was able to fix up a few of the models fairly quickly and move back to my original sprint cards.




With the short difficulties and learning experiences out of the way, I’ll move on to the process that I used for the textures and the cards that I was able to complete this sprint. I looked up a lot of tips early in the process to share with my team for making painterly textures, and it has been great to see them come in handy and help us achieve the style we were going for. For each of the textures, I used a base fill layer of whichever color the specific part of the model was supposed to be. After this, I would make light and dark fill layers, with whichever grunge map seemed to work best for the certain material I was working with, and use a blur slope filter to blend it into the base color. This achieved a paint splodge-esque look and really sold the hand-painted aesthetic. I would also add a very light fill color and use the curvature map to apply it to only the edges, as well as a dark color, for which I used the ambient occlusion map. Each of these added reflected sunlight and shadow, respectively, which made the texture look a lot more refined. I used this same method for all of the textures, removing layers or changing them as needed, and I am very happy with the results from this. I was able to complete the textures and UVs for the lamp post, water tower, connector, and pebbles, as well as two tiling textures for the Unity terrain, and a few model cleanups that I had talked about previously.



Tiling textures created for terrain.

So overall, this was likely the smoothest sprint yet, at least for me. The bumps in the road were minimal, and my designer and producer were on top of it at all times, giving feedback on my work and being very clear about what they wanted everything to look like. I had no idea until this project how much of a difference this makes, but knowing exactly what style and aesthetic is asked of you makes everything a lot smoother when creating a model or texture.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sources and APA

APA Sources for Kickstart Gottfried, J., & Park, E. (2025, November 20). Americans' Social Media Use 2025 . Pew Research Center. Retrieved February 20, 2026, from https://www.pewresearch.org/internet/2025/11/20/americans-social-media-use-2025/ This article from Pew Research seems like a very useful collection of information about social media use amongst Americans in 2025. This can be easily used to influence choices from our group, as we can see what forms of media are working, as well as what forms are not working anymore. An immediate example from this article is the fall off of Twitter, now known as X, which is only receiving 21 percent of people who say they use it. Health Benefits of Social Media Use in Adolescents and Young Adults . (2025, August 15). PMC. Retrieved February 20, 2026, from https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC12356748/ This could be an extremely interesting article to pull from, especially when thinking about the broader effects of social media. For ...

The Future of the Music Industry

The Music Industry - The Future of Listening I truly believe that the entirety of music will be switching to streaming. With how quickly streaming has advanced, and how much music is now streamed compared to other sources, I believe that eventually everyone will be transferring to streaming for its ease of access and its improving audio quality. Even now, according to the IFPI Global Music Report, 69 percent of music listeners are using streaming services, which I think will only grow with time. Additionally, I believe that it is possible that at some point in the somewhat near future, cars will remove both AM and FM radio, and will adopt an Apple play style smart screen for all streaming. This is obviously not a guarantee as people have been upset at the removal of AM radio in cars, but with how popular and used music streaming has been, I feel as though Spotify, Apple Music, and other streaming software will be built into cars. With how easy to use Apple and Android Car Play are, I f...

P.I.N. Point - Sprint 5

P.I.N. Point - Sprint 5 My name is Kyle Ramser and I am currently working as a 3D artist on a game called P.I.N. Point. P.I.N. Point is a fast paced assassin shooter, where time is money and the faster you take out your target, the more money you earn. We just finished our fifth sprint, and the game is coming along pretty nicely. Our programmers have completed our movement system, which has made the gameplay feel closer to how our designer imagined it, and more of my art is being implemented, which is making the game look a lot more complete. This sprint went very well overall, and it is clear now that we have hit our stride as a group and have the process down at this point, after a rough start in the first few sprints. Starting with the negatives, I had to redo the buildings again this sprint, which used up a bit of my time. It didn’t take too long, but it always feels like a waste to redo something that was already completed, so it was not a big deal but definitely not a positive. O...